After several weeks of intense courtroom competition and careful deliberations by esteemed judges, the verdicts are in for the 2020 Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Mock Trial Competition: Del Campo High School, representing San Juan Unified School District, is this year’s champion. The team now advances to the California Mock Trial Competition, held at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, Los Angeles, March 20–22.
Nineteen high school teams competed in the 2020 Sacramento County competition. Elk Grove High School placed second, followed by Rio Americano High School in third, and Sacramento Country Day School in fourth. The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE), which coordinates the event, announced the winners at an awards ceremony last night. Craig Irish, Student Competitions Coordinator for the Sacramento County Office of Education, served as the emcee.
Sacramento County Mock Trial Results
- 1st Place: Del Campo High School (San Juan Unified)
- 2nd Place: Elk Grove High School (Elk Grove Unified)
- 3rd Place: Rio Americano High School (San Juan Unified)
- 4th Place: Sacramento Country Day School (Private)
- 5th Place: Casa Roble Fundamental High School (San Juan Unified)
- 6th Place: Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep Charter High School (Natomas Unified)
- 7th Place: St. Francis Catholic High School (Diocese of Sacramento)
- 8th Place: Laguna Creek High School (Elk Grove Unified)
About Mock Trial
The Mock Trial Competition simulates a trial-level proceeding in which students portray the roles of pre-trial counsel, prosecuting and defense attorneys, witnesses, court clerks, bailiffs, and jurors before a single presiding judge and scoring judges. Volunteers from local law firms and other legal organizations served as scoring and presiding judges.
About the State Competition
California’s Mock Trial Competition is sponsored by the Constitutional Rights Foundation (CRF), a non-profit, non-partisan, community-based organization dedicated to educating America’s young people about the importance of civic participation in a democratic society.